Sunday 29 June 2014

Home Made Funfetti Cake




My Momma was an amazing cook.  As an adult with 2 children of my own now, I marvel at the dedication and time she took to prepare our meals each day.  Every day was an elaborate family style spread.  A main course with several sides to choose from.  Neighborhood kids would linger close to supper time in hopes of an invite to join our table.  And it was ready each day at 5:30 like clock work as soon as my Dad got home from work.  Yes my Momma was an amazing cook, but she was not a baker.  We only had cakes on our Birthdays and then it was a Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake with frosting from the tub.  And we loved it.

So maybe that's why even today I'm not totally opposed to the box cake mix.  Let's face it, there are a few out there that are actually quite special.  And one of my favorites is Funfetti. I set myself the challenge to see if I could come up with a homemade recipe to rival the Funfetti box mix and I think I have. 
 
Ingredients:
480g all purpose flour
460g caster sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
 1 teaspoon salt
250g unsalted butter room temperature.
4 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300ml whole milk
Confetti Sprinkles

Sugar Syrup:
50ml water
50g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla



Method:
Preheat oven to 175C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt several times.  Add to the bowl of an electric mixer and mix well.  Cut butter into chunks and add a little bit at a time.  Mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand.

Break the eggs into a small bowl and add the vanilla to the eggs.  Whisk together.

Add the egg vanilla mixture a very little bit at a time to the flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.

Add the milk and beat for about 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth.

Remove from mixer and add the confetti sprinkles, as many as you like.  Gently fold into the mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.

Pour into prepared cake tin and bake.

Cupcakes are ready in approximately 20 minutes.

Cakes approximately 30 minutes, but test to make sure it is done before removing. 

While baking make the sugar syrup.  Combine water, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and heat stirring until the sugar is dissolved.  Set aside to cool.

Once the cake is out of the oven let it cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.  Then take a skewer and poke holes all over the cake.  Pour over with the syrup mixture then leave cake to cool completely.  


It was such a pretty cake I couldn't bring myself to lash it in Buttercream, so I trimmed the sides and served it naked with a bit of icing on top.  



No comments:

Post a Comment