Sunday 1 September 2013

Rapunzel and her Magic Golden Flower Cake

I planned for the first time for Ayla to invite her whole class to her Birthday Party.  I'm a complete social phobic so I was surpressing my anxiety big time in order for her to have a nice party.  And in the midst of it I forgot to take a picture of the CAKE!  I'm so annoyed with myself.  I have one pic taken the night before so it'll have to do.




This year Ayla wanted Rapunzel "outside of her tower".  I've said before I'm not a fan of doll cakes but here we are, the second year in a row and I'm making another doll cake.  But like before I've put my twist on it.  I wanted it to be frilly and girly like Ayla.  Anyone that knows her knows her fondness of tutu skirts.  That girl will try to make a tutu work with anything.


Rocking the Tutu

So I decided to decorate around the cake with a tutu.  I did this by hand stiching some tulle to gather it and then taping it to the board so that it would sit slightly under the cake.  My cake was a 10 inch round on a 14 inch board.  It took 2 meters of tulle to go around it.  I decorated my cake on a 10 inch card so that it would not sit directly on the tape.  

For the Rapunzel plaque I printed off a picture of Rapunzel in the size I wanted.  I then placed the picture under a piece of edible Rice Paper and painted (traced) the picture onto the edible paper using edibe lustre dust and confectioners glaze.  Then used a scalpel tool to cut out the picture from the rice paper and fixed to the icing on the cake.  

For Rapunzel I used a mini version of the Disney Store doll.  I baked the cake in a small oven safe serving bowl and carved it into the shape I needed.  

The thing that makes this cake for me is the Magic Golden Flower.  It was so simple to make and so effective.  



To make the Magic Golden Flower:   Instructions are very much like making a star gazer lily.  My lily tutorial can be found here.  The main difference is the centre.  

For the Centre instead of making the pistol and the stamen make the twirly bits in the centre of the Rapunzel Flower.  I did this by wrapping white floral tape around 22 guage wire and bending it into the shape I needed.  I made 3 twirly shapes and then taped the 3 twirls to a 18 guage wire using white floral tape.  I then used radient gold luster dust and confectioners glaze to paint the twirls gold.  Then once the paint was dry I went over it again with dry lustre dust to make the colour really pop.  

The petals are normal stargazer lily petals but dusted in shades of yellow, orange, gold and purple. 

So here she is, Rapunzel and the Magic Golden Flower.  Happy 5th Birthday Ayla!












No comments:

Post a Comment