Monday 14 January 2013

Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Swirls







Betty Crocker recently started selling Red Velvet Cake mix in the UK.  I was excited to see it on the shelf.  It's been years since I made one.  I was looking into the idea of creating a Red Velvet and Cheesecake cake when I came across this post by No 2 pencil.  I just loved the idea so decided to try it out instead.  Mine did not come out quite as bright red as hers.  I was using Betty Crocker Mix instead of Duncan Hines so maybe this is the reason.  I also only managed to cut 16 rolls (8 per pan) rather than 24. But all in all they tasted amazing.  

Below are some photos of my Cinnamon Swirl baking experience.  I deviated from the recipe slightly but would not recommend this as you can see in my notes below the pictures.  For the full recipe please visit No. 2 pencil.






I used Betty Crocker Red Velvet Cake Mix



My Dough ready to set aside to rise.
 
  I put my dough in the oven with the light on to let it rise.  Punch it down after 1 hour and then let it rise again for another hour. 

 My dough after the second rise. 
 Now here I did something I shouldn't have.  Instead of spreading the butter and sprinkling the sugar and cinnamon mixture on top I melted the butter and sugar mixture and then spread it.  The result made my dough a bit soggy and hard to roll up. So next time I'll follow the instructions :)This may also be why I was only able to get 16 rolls instead of 24.

 My soggy cinnamon rolls ready to be put back in the oven to rise. 


 After rising for half an hour or so I baked them at 180C for 20 mins. 
Then smothered in Cream Cheese Icing.  I used 125g Cream Cheese and 250g Icing Sugar to make the icing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment