Wednesday 19 December 2012

Spiced Hot Chocolate on a Stick



I was looking for some Christmas gift ideas when I came across this post from Sprinkle Bakes.  She really does have some lovely recipes and I thought these little Hot Chocolates on a stick would be perfect for my daughter to give her teachers.  I've rewritten the recipe in grams instead of cups to make it a bit easier to follow.  I also have changed the recipe to use a bit more chocolate as when I followed the Sprinkle Bakes recipe it seemed much to thick and dry.  Adding that bit of extra chocolate made mine smoother and easier to spoon into the cups.

What you will need:

10 small paper or plastic cups
10 wooden spoon or lollipop sticks
300 grams good quality milk chocolate
25 grams cocoa powder
80 grams icing sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus more for decoration
cinnamon sticks and/or whole star anise

Method:
In a bowl mix together the cocoa powder, icing sugar, cloves, ginger and cinnamon and set aside.

Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Stir chocolate until melted.  Once melted remove from heat.  Stir in the spice mixture.  Stir until smooth.  Mixture will be very thick.

Divide mixture equally amongst 10 small paper or plastic cups.  Tap the cup on the counter to release any air bubbles and smooth the mixture.  Stand a wooden spoon or lollipop stick in the mixture.  Garnish with a cinnamon stick or whole star anise and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.

Place in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.  Then cut the cup and peel away.
 
I sprinkled mine with a dash of edible gold lustre and wrapped with some marshmallows in cling film.  If your giving as a gift don't forget to add a note to dissolve in 200ml hot milk.

  

Of course I had to try it out before I gave them away.  Absolutely delicious :)  


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment