Saturday 21 April 2012

Hummingbird Cake




One of my all time favourite cakes is the Hummingbird Cake.  I first came across it 10 years ago when I was shopping for my wedding cake.  It was offered it to me as a flavour sample and I quickly made it my business to learn how to make it. The Hummingbird Cake is thought to have originated in Jamaica.  There they often refer the Hummingbird as a Doctor Bird and likewise may call it Doctor Bird Cake.  The cake was said to be sweet enough to attract a Hummingbird (who love to eat nectar), thus the name took flight.  I can honestly say it is one of the most popular cakes I have ever made and it is so simple.  You don't even need a mixer.  Just a bowl, a wooden spoon and someone you would like to impress with this fantastic dessert.  


Ingredients
680g All Purpose Flour
450g Granulated Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (but I usually use 1 tablespoon because I like Cinnamon)
3 Eggs beaten
300ml Vegtable Oil
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
225g Can Crushed Pineapple well drained
200g Cup Chopped Pecans
3 Firm Ripe Bananas chopped


Heat Oven to 160C
Sift Flour, Sugar, Biocarbonate of Soda, Salt and Cinnamon together until well blended. Add Eggs and Vegtable Oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are moistened. Stir in Vanilla, Pineapple and Pecans. Stir in Bananas.



The batter will be thick.  When I make cupcakes I can actually scoop it up by hand and roll it into a ball to press into the cases.         

Bake time will vary depending on size of tin. For cupcakes I usually bake for 20 minutes. For a 9 inch round about 30 - 40 minutes. You may need to use a heating core for pans over 10 inches as this is a really dense cake.

This cake goes best with Cream Cheese Icing.

*For a healthier option you can substitute 6 Egg Whites instead of Whole Eggs. And /or 300ml Apple sauce instead of Vegtable Oil. I have made both ways and it comes out yummy either way.

My recipe for Cream Cheese Icing.

125g Butter
125g Cream Cheese
500g Icing Sugar
2 tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla



No comments:

Post a Comment